Wednesday 11 January 2012

FOLLOWING THE TREK

What's next after a 15 mile Trek?

By Mark Baker
Senior PR Officer to BFKKO/WFKKO

I visited the Falcon Gym the day after 18 of their members had undertaken a gruelling 15 mile Trek around the Peak District.

I called on the Sunday just after 2pm. I honestly expected there to be hardly anyone training. I thought there would be a great feeling of "We did our bit yesterday, so we don't have to do anything today." How wrong I was!

The first thing I noticed was that Glyn Smith, (Trek organiser) was at the front of the class, instructing with all his usual passion, desire and vigour. Fair play Glyn. That's the way to do it, always leading by example!

I spotted a good number of guys training who had completed the Trek on the previous day. I was impressed to see such dedication from certain members of the gym. 

There did appear to be a few aches and pains, which is not surprising in the slightest. I also have to admit that some of the Trekkers were actually getting through the lesson with smiles on their faces (how dare they?).

While I was at the gym I observed Glyn explaining the virtues of Trekking 15 miles around the Peak District and feeling the benefits of such a hike!

Jordan "The Sheepdog" Waring, was training with his usual exuberance.


Martin "The Smiler" Wheatley, getting through the lesson, with his usual chirpiness.

Luke "The Thinker" Farmer, contemplating his way around the ring. 

At one point I wasn't sure if Luke was thinking or sleeping. I wouldn't have blamed him if it had been the latter!

These guys did a great job on the Trek. Then they came straight back to training the next day. They are all great guys, with a passion, dedication and desire to succeed, that can only be admired by many. And comprehended by a few, VERY FEW.


These guys epitomise the true Falcon Spirit.

I for one, take my hat off to them all. Well done guys. You all deserve everything you are working so hard to achieve.

I look forward to the next time I take on a challenge alongside you.